Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Gill McEvoy

Taking Possession.

As if someone had been modelling bird-legs
and these were the rejects,

a jangle of scrawny metal legs and feet
is thrust in my palm. They shiver

on the car seat, clink and jingle,
a tangle of brass and steel joggling about.

I nose into the driveway, slow, unsure:
it feels like trespassing.

But no-one comes to check if I'm a threat -
I stand alone on the doorstep,

sorting through the bunch, key after key,
till one at last slides in

and with slow grind and turn
unlocks the future that lurks inside.

.
.

Comments:
I love Gill's poetry and whilst I read it I can hear her voice telling it.

The last line is simple but inspirational and leaves us at the door ready to step over the threshold and to grasp the future that lurks, or to deny that future and to turn away.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]